Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Holiday Card Workshop Day 1

Good morning, everyone!

It's the time of year when I have got to start getting focused on making my Christmas cards!  So, when I saw the Holiday Card Workshop online card class being offered by Jennifer McGuire and Kristina Werner, I knew that it would kick-start my holiday card making!  I've taken many of their classes before and on the very first day of video tutorials, I knew that this one would be the same caliber!!!

Day 1's lessons focused on mass producing a simple card that would easily be put into the mail without extra postage.  That's a tough one for me......so, I couldn't wait to tackle this challenge.  

Here's what I came up with based on the card that Jennifer made in her class tutorial video.

It took me about an hour to make these 5 cards and I'm so darned proud of them!

In the class Jennifer used snowflakes (I'll more than likely make some of those, too), but I wanted to pick something different so I could practice the technique.  I used PTI's Mistletoe and Holly stamp set that I just got last month to make these cards.  

I also used one of the color palette's that Nichole featured on her blog for the October Blog Hop.  I couldn't participate but I just LOVEDDDDDDDDDDD all of these non-traditional color combinations.  So I put them to use for this card.  I copied and pasted all 6 combinations into a Word document and then printed it out and put it on my craft desk so I can reach for them often this holiday season.

To get the slanted strip you masked off a section using Eclipse tape.  However, when I lifted it off, some of my ink bled through in little pin point drops.  I was so upset that all 5 cards were ruined.  So, I became a little inventive and hooked up the air compressor and my air brush system to my Copics and added some deep maroon splatters over that layer so it wouldn't be noticed.  They turned out super pretty and no one will know that there was a mistake.

These will be perfect for mailing and they show sooooo much depth that I'm thrilled!

Thanks for stopping by today and come back soon because I have more Christmas cards scheduled!



Here are the materials I used:
PTI - Mistletoe and Holly stamp set
Eclipse tape (for masking)
PTI dye inks - Ripe Avocado, Simply Chartreuse, Scarlet Jewel and Sweet Blush
PTI cardstock - Scarlet Jewel and Stamper's Select White
VersaFine ink - Onyx Black
Copic marker - R59 (with air-brush system)



15 comments:

June K said...

Oh, I LOVE these cards, Stephanie. So pretty. Darn, I didn't buy this set.

Carole said...

Wow, your cards are so impressive. C x

Carla S. said...

Your cards are gorgeous, Stephanie! A beautiful and creative design!

Paperpicnic said...

Your cards are stunning! A beautiful take on Jennifer's sketch! Love these!

Morag said...

Love what you did with Jennifer's idea!! Gorgeous results!!

Anne B said...

Fab cards, Stephanie. Love the design and I'm sure these will be appreciated. Great that they're easy to mass produce as well :)

Jo said...

Great card Stephanie I love what you did with them. I think the splatters with the airbrush makes the card. Happy mistakes as that painter guy on PBS would have said.

Gwen said...

Oh wow, these are so gorgeous!!! LOVE them!!

Trina said...

These are wonderful, Stephanie! You're making me want to use my refill money on stamps...

Michelle Lupton said...

Great job - I love holly!

ssnuce said...

So, so Love these! I am going to have to purchase that set.

Sue McRae said...

Great use of the holly with this design from class.

Kelly Griglione said...

Wow, great job on these cards, and what a huge bonus that they were quick to create! Congrats on your well-deserved shout-out!

Morag said...

These are really beautiful, but one of the most inspiring aspects is that when things did not go as planned you totally rocked on coping with imperfection so that the result was F-A-B-U-L-O-U-S! I say this as a perfectionist who struggles often with stamped projects that don't meet my own (perhaps ridiculous) standards and often admits defeat and goes back to diecuts and a stamped sentiment. Thank you so much for showing how a disappointment can be morphed into a stellar success! I am totally going to follow you for inspiration...

Kelley said...

Great take on Jennifer's card. Love the colors you used.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...