Thursday, August 2, 2012

SSD - Tips & Tricks Thursday!

Hi, everyone!

I know that many of you already know what 2nd generation stamping is, but adding color to those images can be tricky.

For those of you who don't know what 2nd (or 3rd) generation stamping is, it's when you stamp your image once and then immediately stamp it again withOUT inking your stamp in between each application.  In my card below, I used both 2nd and 3rd generation stamping.




This is often how I begin a card that I don't have any ideas for the layout.  I fold an 8.5"x11" piece of copy paper into fours and get out the stamp set that I'm going to use.  Since Healing Wings is SSD's Feature Stamp Set for August, I couldn't wait to use it.  

I started with the sketch on the right and something seemed "off" to me.  Then I realized, if the butterfly was flying AWAY, the shadow would be left behind.  So, I stamped the images again with the same layout on the left.  I liked how the butterfly went from lighter to darker, much better.

I also used my Copics at this point to make sure I liked the combinations before I got to my final card.  I wanted to keep with "lighter to darker" theme, so I picked colors that were muted and worked toward more vibrant so that it would match the intensity of the black image that I stamped.

The first thing I did was cut my two layers.  The orange base layer was 4"x 5.25". And, my white image panel was 3.75"x5".

In this photo, you can see that I have scratch paper under my project so that I could "stamp" off the ink as I went.  I actually started with the lightest image so it would end up above the wording like I planned.  In order to stamp that image first, I had to ink my stamp and then stamp it off twice.  For the middle butterfly, I did the same thing, only I stamped it off once.  Finally, I inked up the butterfly for the last time and used it full strength for the top image.

I chose to use Copic markers with this card, but any coloring tool would work.  When coloring these images, especially the lightest image, you have color using colors that match the intensity.  So, for each butterfly, I laid out the colors I wanted to use.  Then, I started with the darker of the two colors and worked from the body out making flicking motions with the brush tip end of the Copic.  Then I colored the rest of the wing with the lighter yellow shade.

Finally, I mounted my 2 panels (orange and white) and then adhered those to the light gray base.  You can't see it in the photo, but I also added some Smooch to the top butterfly and it is glittering in all it's glory.

I hope you enjoyed learning how to color those 2nd and 3rd generation stamping images.  Perhaps you can use this "trick" on your card for our challenge.  I'd love to see how you interpret this technique.


Materials Used:
Skipping Stones Designs - Healing Wings stamp set
Orange Zest and Soft Stone cardstock
Copic - X-Press It cardstock
Memento ink - Tuxedo Black
Copic markers - Y15/23 and YR12/20/30/68
Smooch - Illuminate



2 comments:

Jingle said...

Fabulous, Stephanie!

Glenda J said...

Absolutely stunning colouring! So beautiful!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...