Thursday, February 23, 2012

Tips & Tricks Thursday Tutorial!

Good morning, everyone!
Welcome to Skipping Stones Design's Tips & Tricks Thursday!

Today I'm going to show you how to make your own shimmery, custom colored inks using distress inks and Perfect Pearls mist.

Have you ever wanted to use a color of ink that you just don't have in your stash?  I ran across this exact problem while making my DT card for a sketch challenge last week.

I wanted to use the raspberry in the Friendly Fruits stamp set, but I didn't have any purplish, red colors.  I have lots of reds........and lots of purples, but not that perfect "raspberry" color.......so, I decided to make my own.

Here's what you'll need:
Two or more distress inks
Aqua Pen (I didn't have any water in mine for this technique)
Perfect Pearls Mist
Memento ink
Kraft sheet or large acrylic block (for mixing ink)

I chose to use 2 Tim Holtz limited edition distress inks to mix together to make my "raspberry" ink......Seedless Preserves and Festive Berries.

Rub each stamp pad directly onto the kraft sheet in separate spots and then spray about 3 sprays of Perfect pearls near the center.  Using your aqua brush, pull the colors together and mix in the center.

Finally, after you get a color you want to use, paint the images carefully using the aqua brush.

This is what you'll come out with!
The color perfectly matches my ribbon!  I also used it to sponge around the edges of each of the circles using a foam pad on a blending tool.

The finished product!



I would love to see the custom colors you create using this technique.  If you find a great combination, please leave a comment so that others can experiment along with us!

I hope you've enjoyed this week's Tips & Trick's Thursday!!!

Happy Stampin'!!!


1 comment:

jo (http://joboogie.typepad.com) said...

Awesome tutorial! I have to give it a try! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...