Thursday, December 22, 2011

Tips & Tricks Thursday w/ Skipping Stones!

Good morning, everyone!
Welcome to Skipping Stones Design's Tips & Tricks Thursday!

Today I'm going to show you how to make faux fur using your Copic markers and your colorless blender ink.

I love coloring larger images, but I'm not the best at shading.  So, in order to give your image more dimension, try adding some texture using your colorless blender solution.



Today I'm using SSD's Holiday Cats stamp set for a Christmas card that I featured on Tuesday for the sketch challenge.  

For this technique you will need a larger solid image colored with Copics, Colorless Blending Solution (Tim Holtz works as well as Copic) and a piece of a towel or other material with a thicker texture to it.

I cut up an old bath towel into 2" squares.  You can use anything with texture, such as corduroy, burlap and I've even seen a tutorial using bubble wrap.  To make faux fur, though, a piece of bath towel works perfectly.

Add the blending solution to the tip of the piece of scrunched up bath towel and lightly TAP the image.

In order to take the picture I wasn't paying attention and I pressed too hard and did not TAP the image.  I don't think you'll like the result.  So, be very careful not to push down hard or to hold the towel in place for very long............Lesson learned for me!

As you can see, my kitty looks like he was in a fight somewhere.....lol  The ink bled out of the lines and I couldn't even push it back inside the lines using the colorless blender pen.  Again, this is what you get when you press hard or hold your towel on the image for too long.

So..........A redo!  Now you can see that I am LIGHTLY tapping my image with the towel.

This is a much better result than the first go.  It actually looks like fur and I just love all of that texture.

Here's Mr. Kitty all dressed up and ready to go!

The final result!

I would love to see what you create using this technique.  If you find some other material that really makes your image come to life, please leave a comment so that others can use the same wonderful materials!

I hope you've enjoyed this week's Tips & Trick's Thursday!!!

Happy Stampin'!!!


2 comments:

Jessie said...

Thanks for the 411 on how to make fake fur! I now need to go get some blending solution!! Can not wait to try this out and see what I can come up with! Have a great Thursday Stephanie!

jo (http://joboogie.typepad.com) said...

Fabulous tutorial! I also loved how you photographed what NOT to do as well! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...