Monday, May 23, 2011

Personal Days = Craft Room Organization!!!!

Happy, happy Monday to you!!!

I have taken 3 personal days and am dedicating them to cleaning and crafting......but I have to admit that so far I've only been doing the "crafting" part.....lol

Since I got up on my personal day at 4:21.......(Don't ask), 
I thought I would tackle an idea that had been floating around in my head for while now.

It all started when I was perusing blogs and saw Chris Simon's post about making a container for her 6x6 patterned paper.  I was keeping many of my Taylored Expressions Key Ingredients patterned paper in the little cellophane bags that it comes in, but dreading every time I had to get it out because that sticky strip on the cellophane would stick to the paper, etc.  Then putting it all back in was also a pain.  Then you have all your Basic Grey and other pads that you have little pieces falling out everywhere once you tear a sheet out.......so, I needed a better method.  When I saw that Chris simply separates hers from the pad so she uses it......the light-bulb went off in my head.


I knew I could do this, but didn't want to create a box.....I wanted to use an empty DVD box that I had purchased from Target.  It's only made of cardboard and the sides simply snap together.  

And.......Here's what I came up with!!!!

I created a generic pocket using Georgia Pacific cs, plastic separators and some staples.

You can click any of these pictures to enlarge them, but this just shows how I labeled the company and then the name of the pad that is behind the labeled divider.

The pockets took no time at all to make.  I simply scored and folded a piece of card stock in half and then to fit my container I had to cut 1" off the side.  I then centered the plastic divider between the two sides and stapled it together. 

The fold is at the bottom and I simply stapled the sides to hold in the plastic divider card.

This created a pocket for all of my little scraps (as you will see below).  Then I threw on a little Post-It label with the name of the patterned paper and I was done.

This pocket is filled with all of the little scrappies that I can't part with........Yes, I'm a hoarder when it comes to scraps.  But, at least I'm now a NEAT hoarder!!!

Behind the pocket are the whole sheets and larger scraps.

This only took me about 1.5 hours.......so, it wasn't a huge undertaking.  I just feel better having all of this patterned paper right at my fingertips where I can see it.  I also won't have little scraps falling out all over the place when I grab a particular patterned paper pad.  I'm loving it!  
Thanks, Chris for the inspiration!!!!


8 comments:

Leigh said...

Wow, this is very cool, Stephanie! Lots of work involved! I don't have a lot of 6x6 papers, but this seems like a great system!

steph said...

Ooohhh... organization is not my strong suit.... lol! This is lovely- I really need to get on top of something like this- my craft area is getting a little out of hand.... lol!

Cathy Weber said...

You are so organized! So much paper too. What a great way to organize everything. With your new ribbon holder and all your paper organized, you should be knocking out cards right and left! Looking forward to it.

Jen said...

Golly gosh, what wonderful storage ideas. I could do with getting better organized. Your filing system looks perfect. Love how colorful it is too. Eye candy for the eye candy. Clever!

Jessie said...

I had to laugh when I read what time you got up! I did the same thing on Sat. I was up at 5:45. It is amazing what you can get done by noon when you are up and do not go to work! Could you come to my craft room next?? I seem to start get side tracked and never finish!! :)

Shirley said...

I could use lessons on this. Yours is just wonderful!

Wanda G (stampcat) said...

Truly a girl after my own heart! Love your idea and I think that's the perfect use for personal days! Hahahaha. Have a good one!

Chris Simon said...

Oh, I love your pocket dividers! I need a solution for the little scraps, so I may have to re-do my dividers. Thanks for the inspiration!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...