Thursday, May 26, 2011

MIM Sympathy Card challenge

It's Thursday all ready!!!!
Time sure flies when you are having fun!
Having 5 days off (the weekend, followed by 3 personal days) followed by 2 work days and then another long weekend (for Memorial Day, here in the states) really does make the weeks go quickly!!!

This card was inspired by so many different challenges, tutorials and blog posts that I hope that I remember to mention all of them so credit is given where it is due!  

This card definitely took some thinking!  Just like Heather Nichols said in her Beyond Basic Emboss Resist tutorial, it definitely helped with the end result.  When I got the PTI newsletter with this tutorial, I think I hung on every word, swearing that I would try it!!!  

Next PTI inspiration was the Make It Monday #16 challenge done by Dawn McVey this week.  Her focus was on simple tips for making sympathy cards.  I learned a lot.......like using "color" is not a bad thing for sympathy cards......in fact, I really love her pink card in the video.  

I used some muted colors, but I think it all came together.

I used the emboss resist with the French writing underneath the ferns.  I love the look of the writing showing through.  I'm not sure that I'm too fond of this color combination, but in person, it really doesn't look that bad.

This sentiment from Impression Obsession's Sympathy Sentiments stamp set is so beautiful.  You can click to enlarge this photograph.

In the Off the Wall Craftiness #53 Color Challenge for this week, Kim mentions that these colors could be tricky......so maybe I have in my mind that it would be difficult to begin with.  I also followed the Sweet Sunday #118 Sketch Challenge for the layout.  I just had to turn the sketch to make it work with this image.




Finally, here is the MIM #16 video if you would like to see Dawn's tips in action:



Materials Used (All PTI, unless otherwise noted):
Wildflower Garden stamp set
Hero Arts - Old French Writing wooden stamp
Impression Obsession - Sympathy Sentiment stamp set (inside)
Mat Stack #3 Collection stamp set
Round & Round stamp set
Kraft, Stamper's Select White, Ocean Tides and Ripe Avocado cs
Ocean Tides grosgrain ribbon
VersaMark ink
Filigree embossing powder - Clear
Memento ink - Bamboo Leaves
VersaMagic ink - Aegean Blue


Thanks so much for visiting my blog today!!!

14 comments:

veronica said...

love your sponging over the clear embossed! looks great.

Keva said...

Ohh..this is so pretty, Stephanie! I love the way you put the flower on the front and gave it that airbrushed look. This is gorgeous.

Tenia Nelson said...

What a gorgeous card!! Thanks for playing at OTWC!

Jill said...

Stephanie, this is wonderful! You did a beautiful job with the technique (i must say that the Wildflower stamp set is the perfect choice here). I think the colors are very appropriate, and work well. Lovely!

Jaclyn Miller said...

This is so stunning and you nailed the challenge colors. Thanks so much for joining us at OTWC.

Luanne said...

Your card is beautiful. I love the French writing in the background, it really looks nice. TFS!

Margaret M said...

Stephanie what a nice card! You did a great job on all the challenges! I might have to try this stamping technique sometime.

Margaret M said...

Stephanie what a nice card and great job on doing so many challenges on one card!

Kim O'Connell said...

Ooh la la! C'est tres jolie! Can't for wrong with some Frech script! Beautiful card!

Jessie said...

Wow! Gorgeous card! Saw it on facebook first! Congrats!

Karen C. said...

Congratulations on the PTI acknowledgement of your card for MIM this week. I love the text in the background and the emboss resist technique with green ink is perfect for a sympathy card.

~Tammy~ said...

This is stunning and you used the OTWC colors perfectly. Great way to work in all your techniques and challenges! So happy to have you play along with us at OTWC! Good Luck!

Anna (doctorfoodie) said...

Lovely!! I think that stamp set needs to come live at my house...

Leigh said...

What a beautiful card! Well done on the techniques!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...