Monday, February 7, 2011

Making the Rounds on Squigglefly Monday!!!

It's another wonderful Squigglefly Monday!!!
 I have a surprise for you!!!  

This week's challenge is to use circles somewhere on your creation!  You can put your image in a circle die cut (perfect for the new Monograph: Frames just released on Saturday), punch out a circle for the sentiment or use circles in your patterned paper.....if it's round.....it works!

Remember, anyone can participate, but if you use a Squigglefly image on your creation you are eligible for the prize.



Here are my cards!

Aren't these monograms and frames just gorgeous???  They were so easy and quick to create, but I'll walk you through it, step by step.

This awesome set of cards was made using the Monograph: Girly & Monograph: Frames by the talented Chesney Young!  The are available right now in the Squigglefly Store and I am just loving them!!!
I have yet to buy monogram stamp sets because I really dislike lining up letters when I stamp.  I love the look, but hate the fuss.  Putting my monogram together in Paint Shop Pro is so much easier. And at $2.00 & $3.50 (respectively) for these great sets.......you just can't beat that price.


Ready to see how I made these?


The very first thing I did was create my monograms using Paint Shop Pro and Word.  I took the letters for my initials and put them together in PSP and saved them.  This made it easier to place the whole monogram inside the frames instead of adding each letter separately.  Next, I started inserting each frame into a Word document.  I resized each circle to 1.5" so that I could use my 1.75" punch to cut the circles quickly.  Each of the square frames is sized to 2".  Then I filled each frame with my monogram, first and last initials or just an "S."  If the frame was pretty busy, I stuck to just one or two letters.

I did create a portrait and a landscape file of the monograms above, because I wanted to use a background paper that had text on it and it was reading from left to right in the landscape mode.  If I hadn't changed the orientation of my monograms the printing would have been running up and down through the images.  Don't forget to save those Word documents.....I'm sure you'll need them over and over again.

You can click to enlarge this to see what I meant about the text being oriented in landscape.  These monograms came out so beautifully on this digital paper that I printed over the weekend.  It's a really soft pretty pink and I'm hoping that comes through on your screen.
As an FYI......Remember you don't have to make your Word document with all of the different frames like I did.  If you have a favorite, once you've saved that image just copy and paste it all over your document and you'll have a complete matching set.



Next, punch out your circles.  If you hold your punch upside down, it's super easy to see the monogram and frame in order to make it centered perfectly.




I did a set of white and a set of pink because I wasn't sure how I was going to use them yet.  Look at all of these wonderful monograms just waiting to be put on cards!


Next, I decided to hit my stash of die cuts.  Yep, I did say stash.  On days when my mojo is waning,  I go to my scrap box and cut, cut, cut all kinds of die cuts using PTI's Mat Stack dies and Fillable Frames dies and my Sizzix Big Kick.  It's not creative, but it keeps me doing something for my card-making.  I also whittle down those scraps so that I don't feel guilty over how full my box is becoming. It really helps out on days like today because mixing and matching all of the die cuts with paper was so easy.

Once I make all my die cuts, I put them in a little box that has 3 drawers.  This is just a picture of 1 of the drawers......lol


And, look at all of the possibilities that I pulled out of this drawer to use with my cards.


Finally, the one other thing I do with my card-making is any time I cut my paper in half for a card base, I put it in a basket with all my other 1/2 sheets of card stock.  You will NEVER find a half sheet of card stock in my scrap box......those are NOT scraps in my craft room......lol

Then when I have to do a card quickly, I have a ton of these half sheets just ready to be scored.  Take a look at all I had to choose from for today's project!
There were about 25 of these 1/2 sheets in my basket today to chose from.

Once I picked the color my base cards, Raspberry Fizz and Ocean Tides.......then I went looking for the perfect patterned paper.  As mentioned in THIS (Shery K. Designs) post and THIS (DreAmLoft) post, I found a few awesome sources for digital papers.  Using my new printer this weekend, I had several already printed and couldn't wait to use them.

Making all four of these cards took me about 45 minutes because I had almost everything done ahead of time........the monograms, the card bases, the die cuts and the patterned paper.  Nice and easy......yet, oh so pretty!



I think these monograms are going to be used quite often in my card-making.
Think of all of the gifts and sets you could make for anyone!
I hope you get a chance to enjoy them as much as I do.



Materials Used (All PTI, unless otherwise noted):

Pink Monogrammed Cards
Raspberry Fizz, Soft Stone & Stamper's Select White card stock
Squigglefly - Monograph: Girly & Monograph: Frames
Shery K. Designs digital paper - Love in Paris Mega Paper Pack
Mat Stack #3 Collection stamp set and die
Studio G. ink - Hot Pink
VersaFine - Onyx Black
Hero Arts stamp - Old French Writing
Raspberry Fizz saddle stitch ribbon
Sweet Blush saddle stitch ribbon

Ocean Tides Monogrammed Cards
Ocean Tides,  Aqua Mist and Stamper's Select White card stock
Squigglefly - Monograph: Girly & Monograph: Frames
DreAmLoft digital paper -  Plaids in Pastels
Mat Stack #3 Collection stamp set and die
Mat Stack #4 die
VersaMark Dazzle ink - Frost
VersaFine ink - Onyx Black
Unknown ribbon purchased at Ollies


Thanks for checking out my blog today!
Please join the challenge this week.  You can find all of the details on the Squigglefly Challenge Blog!

I can't wait to see what you create with circles this week!
   

9 comments:

*Vicki* said...

Wow girl!! These turned out so gorgeous!! You've made everything sound so easy peasy!! :) Thanks so much for showing the "how to" on putting together the images!! Great job on the challenge!!HUGS

Chelsea said...

Thanks Steph! Great job on the circle challenge. I do love the 2 pink cards!!! Thanks also for the "how to"! :)

Kelly said...

What a great idea to punch a bunch of shapes out of your scraps to have on hand!

Dana said...

Beautiful Stephanie! Love all your tips on storing and saving you scraps and non scraps!
Hugs~
Dana

Holly said...

Stephanie, what an informative post! I love how you played with combining the different frames and alphabets to get such different looks.
They are really pretty printed on to the patterned paper!
I also will have to remember your tip on days when your creative mojo is low - die cut things for use when it comes back!
Fabulous job on these girl!

Dani said...

You did some awesome work!! Love the cards!!

JanR said...

Beautiful cards. I especially like the one at the top right. Thanks for the tutorial, too!

Ted said...

I love your tips, Stephanie! Your monogrammed cards turned out beautifully! :)

Rebecca said...

Thanks for all the great pics showing off how easy it is to use this set! I'm going to try to do a sheet just like you illustrated and keep them handy for future project.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...